How to a create a simple Scandi inspired Christmas interior.
With December almost upon us, we are planning VARA Christmas decorations here in Truro. Our hotel interiors are Scandinavian inspired, (VARA is the Swedish translation of Be, from which Hotel VARA takes its name) - so of course our Christmas decor is Scandi inspired too.
Many people love Scandinavian decor for its simplicity & cosiness - the less is more approach.
Here, we share with you our tips for creating a simple Scandi inspired Christmas interior.
- Use neutral tones & colours - these could be whites, off whites, beiges, silver, blues, greens or black.
- Often the best way to create impact is to pick one theme & repeat it. We have chosen stars. We love our large paper stars, in INK, dark blue, black & off white colour.
- Grouping decorations together achieves greater impact in a space. Tap a tiny tack into hidden areas, above picture rails & windows. Use simple clear craft wire or thin strips of ribbon, to hang the your decorations.
- Group decorations at different heights, & in different tonal colours & sizes.
- Use greenery to fill pots or whatever containers you have to hand, or lichen covered branches to hang baubles or decorations from. This year we will be using reindeer moss pressed into small planters that we already have & use all year.
- Use candles, lanterns, string lights, soft warm white lighting for a cosy feel.
- Add cushions, blankets, throws, rugs to create a cosy chair or sofa to curl up on, or to a dining chair.
- Simplicity is key & it can be done on a budget.
- Don’t forget about entrances, porches, door frames, mirrors & windows - Scandinavian Christmas entryway decor is big. Scandinavians love to hang illuminated white lights, & stars in their windows for Christmas, & place candle lanterns outside doorways. It’s the best way to greet visitors to your home this Christmas season. At VARA we wrap our pillars with warm white Christmas lights, & place large lanterns with candles by the doors.
- Our location in Truro, Cornwall, is surrounded by coast & woodland, with lots of natural elements - pop into the garden & see what greenery you have, or look out for what you can collect on your next walk.