Cycle around Truro & Cornwall
Cyclists are welcome at Hotel VARA, & we’re a popular stop-off for both casual bike tourers & those tackling the slightly more challenging routes - including Lands End to John O’Groats!
The hotel has secure bicycle storage, plenty of free car parking, & an outdoor shower if you need to clean your bike down.
Hire an Ebike
No bike? No problem! We’ve recently teamed up Ebike Cornwall to host 2 of their hybrid Ebikes. If you’d like to hire one of these for a local cycle, you can book & pay via their website, & our reception team will get the bikes ready for you. All the details you need are on their website.
Cycle route ideas
It’s easy to access the south, west & north coasts from our central location, & there are lots of routes you can take from Truro. How about a gentle 4 mile tootle down the river for a riverside pub lunch in Malpas? Or a more challenging 18 mile trek along the Bissoe Trail? You can take your bike on the ferry to some of the nearby villages if you want to extend your adventure. Be prepared for a few hills along the way on most routes.
Riverside pub lunch
- Cycle down through the city & arrive at The Trafalgar roundabout
- Take the Malpas road along the river
- Pass Boscawen Park
- Continue to the village of Malpas to The Heron pub for lunch & lovely views down the Fal river
- Round trip: 4 miles
Ferry trip to St Mawes
- Take the Old Falmouth Road to Penelewey
- Continue to Trelissick National Trust Gardens
- Option 1 – Return
- Round trip : 6 miles
- Option 2 – Continue to St Mawes via the King Harry Ferry
- Round trip: 20 miles
Bissoe Cycle Trail
- Take the Old Falmouth Road to Devoran
- Option 1 - Go left & take the road through Devoran & out along the river to Point.
- Round trip : 14 miles
- Option 2 - Go right along the Bissoe Trail & over towards the north coast as far as Porthtowan.
- Round trip : 18 miles
Want more ideas? Have a look at these options from Visit Cornwall & Sustrans
Cycle trails from Visit Cornwall https://www.visitcornwall.com/about-cornwall/cycle-trails
Sustrans guide to The Cornish Way https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-other-routes/cornish-way